Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Lesson in Pumpkin Pie

With all this pumpkin tasting going on I thought it would be appropriate to share some recipes of mine for my most revered pumpkin creations. This first one is very dear to my heart in that I actually put it to the test by doing my own pumpkin pie throw down comparing fine cooking, bobby flay, bon appetit, and libby's pumpkin pie recipe. After all the pies were made an my team of judges placed their votes I ended up making my own recipe which I believe is the best pumpkin pie recipe to date.

So here is the recipe, perhaps it will make it's way to your family's table this holiday season.

Libby's on Left, Heavenly Pumpkin Pie on the Right
 The BEST Pumpkin Pie.

Filling:

15 oz pumpkin puree
½ c dark brown sugar
2 T granulated sugar
1 T corn syrup (or light molasses)
1 T flour
1 ½ t cinnamon
¾ t ginger
¼ t cloves
¾ t pumpkin pie spice
¼ t salt
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
½ vanilla bean split, seeds scraped (optional)

1 ¼ c heavy cream

Crust:

Pick your favorite recipe or go with the store bought kind. Crust is always a challenge for me so it's not fair for me to include a "best" crust recipe when I simply do not have one. Vodka and super chilled butter and butter/shortening combinations all seem to add something different but it really depends on your preference and effort you feel like putting in.

Instructions:

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. When mixed pour into a fine mesh sieve and strain (I swear this makes a difference and gives the pie an incredibly smooth texture that is reminiscent of flan and other ridiculously delicious custard desserts. Do not leave this part out, if you don't have a find mesh sieve then go get one, it's worth it.

Pour strained ingredients into pie crust and bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350-325 and bake for another 40-50 minutes until jiggling in the center is more like set Jell-O than liquid sloshing*. Let cool for 3-4 hours then dive in.

Notes:

*On bake time, custard pies will crack if over baked and should be taken out just before you think they're done, you know, like a good cookie should be. It will continue to bake a bit more and set up as it cools and it's nice to have a pretty pie. Other things I've found to help this are using a ceramic pie plate or a hot water bath and glass pie plate.

**The heavy cream can be part half and half or hearty milk but of course the cream is super rich and yummy. The spices can be flexible. If you don't have dark brown sugar, use molasses, if you do have dark brown sugar, use corn syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment