Sunday, November 4, 2012

Review: Coldstone's Pumpkin Ice Cream

The commercial pumpkin product sampling continues. This week's victim: Coldstone Creamery's Pumpkin Ice Cream




Let me just go right out and say it. I love ice cream. and I love pumpkin. I my body needs them like it needs oxygen. Are you understanding my situation? Okay. Good.

So I dove on in and went with an incredible ice cream company to see how their harvest pumpkin creation of the season stacked up against the rest. I got the pumpkin ice cream on half and cinnamon on the other with graham cracker pie crust on top (this is similar to my Dairy Queen visit you might notice. Sometimes crunch is important). Overall the ice cream was not bad. It did live up to the Coldstone name and provide a lusciously smooth creamy texture and full depth of flavor. I was happy that I got the cinnamon along side as a sort of palate cleanser; cinnamon is an important antioxidant you know. The pumpkin flavor is not bad, I did notice an orange background that I do not believe is appropriate with pumpkin (harvest season, yes, pumpkin, no) and a certain attempt at spiciness that every franchise I stop by seems to be striving for and just not getting. After a few bites I found myself enjoying the tasts that included cinnamon in them more and the pumpkin less and less. In summary, Coldstone's pumpkin ice cream is in fact good ice cream; it is not, however, an quencher of true pumpkin satisfaction.

The highs:
- Darn Good ice cream: creamy, smooth, luscious. Oh lordy.
- The Cinnamon ice cream.

The lows:
- Keep trying Coldstone. Pumpkin means pumpkin. Not orange. Not spices.

Lastly, I do want to note that even though I was seeking out pumpkin in this endeavor and it did not meet my expectations, the cinnamon ice cream completely did and I would recommend it to anyone. Heck, get a pint and take it home. Have it with some apple pie and let your world be changed; or do this with it:


Here's a few recipes on foodgawker.

No comments:

Post a Comment