Monday, October 8, 2012

DQ Pumpkin Pie Blizzard Review

I think I'm going to embrace harvest season by reviewing everything commercial and pumpkin I can find so this will be somewhat of a string of posts. I'm going to start with Dairy Queen's Pumpkin Pie Blizzard because, well, it's on my way home and I have zero self control.

Today's victim:



High points:
  • The spices on the whipped cream are perfect and awaken harvest within the soul.
  • I ordered graham cracker crumbles on top. This was a good choice.
Low points:
  • The flavor. It's like the unbaked pie but like an old can of Libby's was used. It's all over too watery, too spicy, and has an orange-like background that isn't very pleasant. Maybe it has something to do with the DQ - Orange Julius affiliation.
  • They should redo their whipped cream at least for this drink. Being harvest seasonal only it wouldn't hurt to play on the thick custard background intended in pumpkin pie and bump up the whipped cream this time of year to something a bit heavier. Maybe Coldstone or Culvers could lend them a hand.
Something I'd rather have instead: Pumpkin Pie Breve. Find a coffee shop, make sure they have pumpkin pie (not pumpkin spice) syrup/sauce, and have them put it in a breve. You might as well be drinking a pie. Oh lordy, lordy. If you need a location, the first place I had this was Seattle's Best, but Dunn Bro's in the midwest and other small cafe's will have it. If you go to Starbucks you're SOL.

Until tomorrow, happy pumpkining :)

No comments:

Post a Comment